Saturday, March 15, 2008

The vagabond in me...

I did it again...a two day absence from the campus during a so-called-hectic-weekend. Or rather, the vagabond part of the numerous identities that constitute me made me do it!!! I have this habit of running away from a city whenever its claustrophobic clasps - I know it's a strong expression to use - of the place begins to hug me tightly... It might be a hug out of love or a hug meant to disintegrate me to the elements that constitute me, but in any case I love the whiff of new air and the smell of a new place - a break from the normal.

I don't remember when the itinerant in me started forcing me to do it...Munnar n Aleppey used to be the favorite havens during college life. Mahabs n Pondy used to gimme a high when the mournful monotony of the tap-tapping on the keyboard got big on me. The vagabond got the time of his life when I quit Cognizant in Sep 2006 to aim for bigger things. I knew I had a six month break, I knew i wouldn't have to remain rooted at any place for the next six months atleast ( More abt the break later..That in itself is an eventful story)... The vagabond had the time, I had the money. Sometimes we drove bikes n cars, other times we took trains and flights...Sometimes we were alone, other times we had other schizophrenics accompanying us...Sometimes we set our base in shacks, other times we stayed in elite hotels...Sometimes we were sloshed, other times we were sober...

We ran from one place to another, flirting with the cities, towns and villages - forming unforgettable relationships but never letting them blossom into commitments. Finally we had to stop. I was on my way to achieve bigger targets i had set for myself. Slowly 'We' started dissolving into 'I' and 'I' became busy with numerous other activities - many by choice, many by force. The vagabond went into a slumber. Though i drove bikes n cars, traveled in trains n buses, i knew it was not the vagabond who accompanied me...rather it was the zombie. I yearned for the vagabond to be back.

The high spirits and the emotional crests i experienced ( More about digital binary emotions later...) made sure that the vagabond was back...I was sure this was the vagabond and not the zombie...We looked at each other..we knew we had two days...we ran away from the campus...we ran...

To be contd

3 comments:

Nirupama said...

A thoughtful write that is especially relevant to most of us...
"i knew it was not the vagabond who accompanied me...rather it was the zombie."... hits close to home.

Waiting for the next part :)

The iceman said...

Nice- especially the schizonfrenic reference - "Sometimes we were accompanied by schizos" - I would like to think atleast one of them was me :-)..gr8 start to the innings...keep the tip-tap going

Vimal alias Khan said...

Dude...u were certainly one of them. Looking back , may be we should have done more of 'vagabonding' ....