Monday, March 17, 2008

The vagabond in me...( Part 2 - The bus journey )

Before continuing further, lemme acknowledge my project team members for not persuading me to stay back considering the tasks lined up for the weekend.


So we were off...Though I had to do some hobnobbing with the media guys in TVM, the vagabond was adamant that he would get his fair share of fun. Volvo bus was the mode of transport we chose this time. The moment I stepped inside the Volvo, my eyes started searching for some familiar face. Don’t know how or y, during my frequent Chennai – Blore n Chennai – Cochin Volvo trips, more often than not I used to bump into some unexpected yet familiar face. As I settled down n did a proverbial stretching of the legs (couldn’t do an actual stretch as the seat was too cramped!!!), loud music started blaring out – a peppy Tamil no which reminded me of Chennai. If I thought the loudest sound in bus was the music, I was proved wrong. Suddenly out of nowhere, a thundering voice boomed “Why the #@$% are we delaying the departure? Gimme the reimbursement or else i ll file a case with the police “(of course, in mallu) . I resisted the urge to flaunt my Business Law knowledge n advise my dear friend “Mate, a better option would be to think of the consumer protection act” . Somehow the guy was pacified and finally the tyres started rolling.


As I started twisting and turning , trying to snuggle into the blanket , somebody decided not to let me sleep. A mallu movie was on. Over the course of time, i might have grown up the ranks to become a religious worshipper of Innaritu, Aronofsky , Christopher Nolan , Almodovar , Edward Norton , Gael Garcia bernal n the likes , but i m always game for a mallu movie. This movie was of the thriller genre with the hero introducing us to the world of “Manglish” language. (Some of the jargons i remember r visual amnesia, cyclopic eye wash). Finally after numerous twists and turns, which left the audience oohing and aahing – though i got the feeling that i ve seen this before – the final scenes were enacted in a courtroom, which reminded me of the fiery courtroom scenes in John Grisham and Perry Mason novels.


Finally at around 1 AM , with all the cacophony done with, i was all set to drift into a nice sleep filled with pleasant dreams........In that quasi-state in btw sleep and wakefulness , several thoughts slipped into n out of my mind. Against the normal flow of thoughts, i could sense and feel a bison charging at me...i couldn’t place it. But my senses and animalistic instincts were on the alert. Then i got it - It was not a thought, it was a reality – My neighbour had decided to do some nasal exercises at that odd time. I had two options – One was to “accidently” poke n jab at him, The second was to plug my ears with cotton (Having travelled quite a bit, i knew some of the ‘must carry’ items as far as i was concerned ‘ ). Realising how giant of a person he was compared to me, i chose the latter.


Finally after all those loud music, loud altercation btw the passenger n the crew, the loud n heated dialogues in the movie n the loud snoring of my neighbour i was off to sleep.......
“Trivandrum, Trivandrum...Sir , pls wake up it's Trivandrum”

To be contd

No comments: